Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Monday, April 28, 2014
So you know that Liquorice is toxic? Right? Yup you got that right.Toxic…. Enough of it and you could end up in hospital or even die. When consumed in large quantities, it can cause your potassium levels to fall to the point where some people experience arrhythmia, a rise in blood pressure, swelling and even congestive heart failure.
How much is too much? According to the FDA, a diet including 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks might merit a trip to the hospital to have an irregular heart beat checked out.
That’s why we named this stunningly beautiful amphibian version of the German flag “Liquorice” It was found at the Mozal complex by Vlad and has a similar ability to effect your early demise if you mess with it.
Liquorice (the frog) has a cardiotoxin on his skin that in humans, after prolonged skin contact, or assimilation of the toxin via cuts or scratches on the hands, can cause extremely painful swelling and other symptoms such as nausea, headache, respiratory distress and an increased pulse rate. It could even kill you.
But do not say you were not warned, Liquorice is a member the group of little critters that subscribe to the time honored tradition of advertising their toxicity with bright warning colors, a phenomenon known as Aposematism.
You have been warned ….Twice.